The Gallium OpenSWR driver is a high performance, highly scalable software renderer targeted towards visualization workloads. For such geometry heavy workloads there is a considerable speedup over llvmpipe, which is to be expected as the geometry frontend of llvmpipe is single threaded.
This rasterizer is x86 specific and requires AVX or above. The driver fits into the gallium framework, and reuses gallivm for doing the TGSI to vectorized llvm-IR conversion of the shader kernels.
You can read more about OpenSWR on the project website.
- Why another software rasterizer?
- What’s the architecture?
- What’s the performance?
- What’s the conformance?
- Why are you open sourcing this?
- What are your development plans?
- What is the licensing of the code?
- Will this work on AMD?
- Will this work on ARM, MIPS, POWER, <other non-x86 architecture>?
- What hardware do I need?
- Does one build work on both AVX and AVX2?